At Mineta San Jose International Airport, it is our priority to provide outstanding customer service amenities, ease of access, and a safe and pleasurable travel experience for all of our valued customers.
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT (As of December 21, 2020)
SJC’s Sunflower Lanyard Program – Enabling Easier Travel for Passengers with Hidden Disabilities
In collaboration with the California State Council on Developmental Disability (SCDD),
SJC is proud to participate in the Sunflower Lanyard program. This program allows airport staff to subtly identify travelers within need of an extra level of customer service. Any traveler who self-identifies as having a less visible disability or assists someone who has a hidden disability may request and wear a lanyard. The Sunflower Lanyard Program is provided to travelers free of charge, and is voluntary. No additional verification of a specific disability is required. Travelers can retrieve the lanyard at airline check-in counters, airport Information booths when staffed, or make advance arrangements by sending an email to SJC’s Customer Experience Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, click to visit SJC’S Sunflower Lanyard Program.
Taxi and door-to-door shuttle services
- Wheelchair-accessible vehicles are available from taxi and door-to-door shuttle services at both terminals. Uniformed dispatch personnel located at the terminal ground transportation loading area will coordinate your request. Reservations are recommended.
Wheelchairs or Sky Caps
- For wheelchair or porter service, please contact your airline in advance.
- Passengers may also request assistance from any available Sky Cap by calling their airline from any Airport Courtesy Phone located throughout the terminals.
All accessible parking spaces are located in Hourly Lot 2 (Terminal A Garage) and Hourly Lot 3 (Rental Car Center Garage). However, those displaying an ADA placard may park in any airport lot at the Economy Lot rate of $18.00 per day maximum. To receive the discount, press the intercom button at any exit lane and a Parking Services employee will assist you.
- All shopping and dining concessions are wheelchair accessible.
Pet Relief Area
- SJC has four animal relief areas. Three are located outside; one north of Terminal A ticketing area, one north of Terminal B ticketing area, and one south of the Hourly Lot 2 parking garage. Additionally, there is one located inside the terminal within the passenger walkway between Gates 16 & 17. [Map of Pet Relief Areas]
- All airport restrooms are equipped with stalls for persons with disabilities and infant diaper changing stations as well.
- Individuals assisting passengers with disabilities may be allowed beyond the screener checkpoints at the airline's discretion. These individuals may be required to present themselves at the airlines' check-in desk and receive a "pass" allowing them to go through the screener checkpoint without a ticket.
- Passengers with disabilities may receive assistance from airline personnel, who will escort them to the gate. Those needing help should make a request at the airline ticket counter.
- Ticketed passengers with their own oxygen for use on the ground are allowed beyond the screener checkpoints with their oxygen canisters once the canisters have been thoroughly inspected.
- All persons allowed beyond the screener checkpoints may be searched. This will usually be done through the use of a hand-held metal detector, whenever possible. Passengers may also be patted down during security screenings, and this is even more likely if the passenger uses a wheelchair and is unable to stand up. A private screening will be provided upon request.
- Service animals, once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed, are permitted on board an aircraft. Any backpack or sidepack that is carried on the animal will be manually inspected or put through the X-ray machines.
- Assistive devices such as walking canes, once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed, are permitted on board an aircraft. Assistive devices such as augmentative communication devices will go through the same kind of security screening process used for personal computers.
- Syringes are permitted on board an aircraft once it is determined that the person has a documented medical need for the syringe.
- For additional information, please call the TSA toll free at: 1-855-787-2227 or visit TSA Cares.
Airport Emergency Evacuation Plan
The Airport Emergency Evacuation Plan provides direction for the orderly and coordinated evacuation of employees, passengers and customers of the Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport (SJC). The plan includes a section for individuals with access and/or functional needs. [Emergency Evacuation Plan].
Airport ADA Coordination
If you require wheelchair service or similar assistance for passengers with disabilities, please contact your airline, as the airlines must make these arrangements. A directory of airline phone numbers and website addresses can be found here: AIRLINE DIRECTORY. If you have a request for airport related materials in alternate formats, please email our Customer Service team. If you'd like to make the Mineta San Jose International Airport aware of an accessibility or Title VI concern or complaint, please send an email to Vicki Day. Please allow up to 3 business days for a response.
Airport ADA Contact:
Vicki Day, Customer Service Manager/ADA Coordinator
Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport
1701 Airport Boulevard, Suite B-1130
San José, CA 95110-1206
Formal Grievance Procedures
The Office of Equality Assurance administers the City of San Jose's overall ADA grievance procedure. Persons with ADA complaints specifically regarding Mineta San Jose International Airport are encouraged to contact the Aviation Department's ADA Coordinator as noted above. If the department's response does not adequately resolve the complaint, a formal grievance can be filed with the City of San Jose's Office of Equality Assurance at 200 E. Santa Clara Street, 5th Floor, San José, CA 95113-1905, 408-535-8455 (voice), 408- 294-9337 (TTY).